Writers Reminder, published by Carolyn B. Leonard, is a non-profit networking and advocacy blog with more than a thousand subscribers, devoted to literature and writing in a broad sense. For the readers and writers, we publish a blog, guest blogs, and book reviews. We also publish conversations about grammar, writing, prose styles, poetry, literary genres, and writing advice; we post current news and information about writers clubs and activities in the Oklahoma City area. We include information on conferences in the Midwest, contests, editors, agents, publishers, and the publishing industry, updated regularly. We also promote other sites and opportunities, including freelance offers, that we feel will benefit writers. https://www.WritersReminder.com
July/August 2020 Writers Reminder
Check out the main site as well: https://www.CarolynBLeonard.com
(KEEP SCROLLING DOWN)
WRITING IN TOUGH TIMES
At Oklahoma City Writers, Inc.
Saturday, October 17, 2020
By Maria Veres
10:15 TO NOON
THE MEETING WILL BE ONLINE & AT THE CHURCH!
OKC WRITERS PRESIDENT LACI LITER
10:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
For more info go to OKCWRITERS.ORG
To have your events and news considered for publication in the Oklahoman, please send details and contact information to Linda Lynn via email at LLynn@Oklahoman.com. Please try to provide info at least two weeks in advance of events or registration deadlines. They also are interested in stories about people who have been recently recognized or honored. The Oklahoman will share your news with readers,
NOTICE: Have you checked out the Writers Relief program list of current writing contests?
Writers Reminder - October/November 2020
by Carolyn B. Leonard
Got a minute? Here’s a preview.
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. Local Programs – OKC writers - Wordwrights - OK Christian Writers - Pen & Keyboard (Edmond) - Norman Galaxy - Woodward Writers of Purple Sage -OK Romance Writers - Green Country Ruff Riters.
3. Conferences & Orgs for writers - a half-dozen or more
4. My Blog - “Writing in a time of Pandemic”
click here: https://www.carolynbleonard.com/my-blog.html
5. EDITORS for hire! and types of editing explained
6. Publishers (17 publishers)
8. Opportunities for Freelance Writers (several)
9. Writing Classes & Grant Offers (Some NEW ones)
10. Jobs for Writers (Eight, last count)
11. Plays and Screen Writing (two NEW)
13. Carolyn’s Book Review: “Leadership in Turbulent Times” by Doris Kearns Goodwin
click here, or copy and paste in your browser: https://carolynbleonard.com/reviews
14. Letters to Editor (Looking for Critique Groups, Grassroots Lobbying & more)
15. Website Winner – Jane Friedman - click here: https://www.janefriedman.com/about/
16. Story Call Outs: Check out this big list!
17. Announcements, Indies NEWS
3,000 words. Scanning time 7 minutes (including clicks)
Click here: http://www.writersreminder.com/
* OKC Writers - 3rd Saturdays each month at 10 am. Now meeting at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 15th and Harvey, OKC. Enter through the northwest door, go to 1st floor, Room 130, (405) 232-1371. (Click here to read program details). Speaker each month on some genre of writing. Meeting is live streamed on Facebook if unable to attend. https://www.facebook.com/groups/OCWImembers/?ref=bookmarks
* OKC Christian Fiction writers meet 3rd Saturdays at 1 pm at Henderson Hills church, located at 1200 E I-35 Frontage Rd, Edmond OK. We meet in the church offices on the back side of the church campus. https://www.facebook.com/okcchristianfictionwriters/
* OKRWA --OK Romance Writers Association meets on the third Saturday of each month; members write romantic suspense, Christian romance, contemporary, erotic, and historical romance. Historical is mainly westerns and the Regency period. Meetings are at the OKC Art Museum in Classroom C at 1 pm. For more information contact Mary Jo Springer email, <email@example.com>
* Oklahoma Romance Writers Guild: Meets 1st Saturday of the month at the Pioneer Library System SW OKC, 2201 SW 134th Street, OKC, OK 73170 in Room A-B from 2-4:30 pm CST. Writers of all romance sub-genres are welcome. For more information on upcoming meetings, go to https://www.oklahomaromancewritersguild.com/
* Pen and Keyboard Writers meet the 2nd Saturday of the month, from 10 AM until noon at the WELL CHURCH (formerly Edmond Christian Church) 2800 E. Danforth Road (corner of Coltrane & Danforth), in the Family Life Center, room 2. The FLC is the building to the right of the Chapel (building with cross). We enter in the north door (door facing parking lot is to kitchen), and go to the second class room on the left.. They welcome anyone who is interested in writing, whether a beginner or published author. The group works together to help each other improve their writing. For more info contact Dianna Street <authorstreet (at) aol (dot) com>
This program provides a monthly venue for selected regional poets to share their work. Former Oklahoma Poet Laureate and Oklahoma Book Award winner Carl Sennhenn hosts. (FMI contact Bill Boudreau - thanks for updates)
* Tulsa NightWriters meets the third Tuesday of every month at Allee Beth Martin East Regional Library, 2601 So. Garnett in Tulsa. Meetings are 7:00 to 8:00 pm, but come early at 6:30 to meet and chat with fellow writers. No formal meeting in December at the library, with a casual Christmas party scheduled elsewhere. See website for information – www.nightwriters.org.
* Wordwrights Christian Writers CHANGE OF MEETING PLACE! meet from 10 am to noon. the second Saturday of the month in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Epworth Villa in OKC (near Quail Springs Mall). If you have any problems locating our new meeting place, you may call Milton Smith on his cell at 405-200-9850 or Donna Le, cell phone is 405-501-2522.
Thumbs down from Writer Beware - quite a long list and descriptions. ALWAYS - before you invest money in publishing your work, check with Writer Beware and other experts. Go here: https://accrispin.blogspot.com/
Maria, a freelance health and business writer, specializes in content marketing writing for mid-sized businesses. With two decades of experience as a wordsmith, She knows how to package your message to get the results you need.
Got something you’d like mentioned in WRITERS REMINDER next month? Do you know another writer who would be interested in receiving this newsletter? Perhaps you found us on the internet and would like to receive an emailed note when a new issue hits the ‘net?
…And now, a brief commercial message