Since 1993 serving Writers with free information they can use.
Main Website: https://www.CarolynBLeonard.com
Writers Reminder, published by Carolyn B. Leonard, is a non-profit networking and advocacy blog with more than a thousand subscribers, devoted to literature and writing in a broad sense. For the readers and writers, we publish a blog, guest blogs, and book reviews. We also publish conversations about grammar, writing, prose styles, poetry, literary genres, and writing advice; we post current news and information about writers clubs and activities in the Oklahoma City area. We include information on conferences in the Midwest, contests, editors, agents, publishers, and the publishing industry, updated regularly. We also promote other sites and opportunities, including freelance offers, that we feel will benefit writers. https://www.WritersReminder.com
Check out the main site as well: https://www.CarolynBLeonard.com
(KEEP SCROLLING DOWN)
Nov-Dec 2019 Writers Reminder
To have your events and news considered for publication, please send details and contact information to Linda Lynn via email at LLynn@Oklahoman.com. Please ty to provide info at least two weeks in advance of events or registration deadlines We also are interested in stories about people who have been recently recognized or honored, Help the Oklahoman share your news with readers,
NEW ITEM: Collab Conference is a distinct Christian women’s conference for those longing to live out their God-given calling through writing, blogging, speaking, teaching, and leading.
Waco, Texas, April 22-24, 2020. Priced from $400 to $599
Collab Conference offers:
• 3 days
• 6 authors
• 1 social media expert
• 1 literary agent
• workshops, breakout sessions, and opportunities for spiritual and encouragement
• take your writing to the next level?
• Early Bird registration is going on NOW through Jan 31, but space is limited so don’t wait . . . sign up TODAY! Go to www.collab-conference.com for more information or to register. Follow along on Facebook at facebook.com/collabconferenceforwriters or Instagram at @collabconference
I am not paid to recommend or advertise any services
Thank you for your interest in Bublish's Author Services. My name is Shilah and I'd be happy to get you more information about our consultations. Our most powerful consultation is Book Positioning. This helps you figure out your audience, categories, keywords, possible comparable titles while also giving you an idea of how to reach the right audience. Anyone here try Bublish? Care to tell us about their services?
To view poetry readings in the area, visit website http://www.okpoets.org
Got a minute?
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. Local Programs – OKC writers - Wordwrights - OK Christian Writers - Pen & Keyboard (Edmond) - Norman Galaxy
3. Conferences & Orgs for writers - a half-dozen or more
4. My Blog - “The Miracle of Birth”
click here: https://www.carolynbleonard.com/my-blog.html
5. EDITORS for hire! and types of editing explained
6. Publishers (17 publishers)
8. Opportunities for Freelance Writers (several)
9. Writing Classes & Grant Offers (Some NEW ones)
10. Jobs for Writers (Eight, last count)
11. Plays and Screen Writing (two NEW)
13. Carolyn’s Book Review: “The Kennedy Brothers: The Rise and Fall of Jack and Bobby” by Richard D. Mahoney
click here, or copy and paste in your browser:
14. Letters to Editor (Looking for Critique Grps, Grassroots Lobbying& more)
15. Website Winner –Marcia Preston
(click here: http://www.writersreminder.com/15.-web-winner.html)
16. Story Call Outs: Check out this big list!
17. Announcements, Indies NEWS
3,000 words. Scanning time 7 minutes (including clicks)
Click here: http://www.writersreminder.com/
Scroll down, and click on any underlined listing to go directly to the subjects you are most interested in. If you find any dead hotlinks, please let me know <email@example.com>
* OKC Writers - 3rd Saturdays each month at 10 am. Now meeting at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 15th and Harvey, OKC. Enter through the northwest door, go to 1st floor, Room 130, (405) 232-1371. (Click here to read program details)
* OKC Christian Fiction writers meet 3rd Saturdays at 1 pm at Henderson Hills church, located at 1200 E I-35 Frontage Rd, Edmond OK. We meet in the church offices on the back side of the church campus. https://www.facebook.com/okcchristianfictionwriters/.
* Pen and Keyboard Writers meet the 2nd Saturday of the month, from 10 AM until noon at the WELL CHURCH (formerly Edmond Christian Church) 2800 E. Danforth Road (corner of Coltrane & Danforth), in the Family Life Center, room 2. The FLC is the building to the right of the Chapel (building with cross). We enter in the north door (door facing parking lot is to kitchen), and go to the second class room on the left.. They welcome anyone who is interested in writing, whether a beginner or published author. The group works together to help each other improve their writing. For more info contact Dianna Street <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Wordwrights Christian Writers CHANGE OF MEETING PLACE! meet from 10 am to noon. the second Saturday of the month in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Epworth Villa in OKC (near Quail Springs Mall). If you have any problems locating our new meeting place, you may call Milton Smith on his cell at 405-200-9850 or Donna Le, cell phone is 405-501-2522.
* Norman Galaxy of Writers - meets every month on 2nd Saturday, 10 AM to noon at Norman Public Library, downtown, 225 North Webster. For more info, email email@example.com
* OKRWA --OK Romance Writers Association meets on the third Saturday of each month; members write romantic suspense, Christian romance, contemporary, erotic, and historical romance. Historical is mainly westerns and the Regency period. Meetings are at the OKC Art Museum in Classroom C at 1 pm. For more information contact Mary Jo Springer email, <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Tulsa NightWriters meets the third Tuesday of every month at Allee Beth Martin East Regional Library, 2601 So. Garnett in Tulsa. Meetings are 7:00 to 8:00 pm, but come early at 6:30 to meet and chat with fellow writers. No formal meeting in December at the library, with a casual Christmas party scheduled elsewhere. See website for information – www.nightwriters.org.
This program provides a monthly venue for selected regional poets to share their work. Former Oklahoma Poet Laureate and Oklahoma Book Award winner Carl Sennhenn hosts. (FMI contact Bill Boudreau - thanks for updates)
Thumbs down from Writer Beware - quite a long list and descriptions. ALWAYS - before you invest money in publishing your work, check with Writer Beware and other experts. Go here: https://accrispin.blogspot.com/
Maria, a freelance health and business writer, specializes in content marketing writing for mid-sized businesses. With two decades of experience as a wordsmith, She knows how to package your message to get the results you need.
Got something you’d like mentioned in WRITERS REMINDER next month? Do you know another writer who would be interested in receiving this newsletter? Perhaps you found us on the internet and would like to receive an emailed note when a new issue hits the ‘net?
Writers Reminder - November/December 2019
by Carolyn B. Leonard
LitMag’s Virginia Woolf Award for Short Fiction (2019) -
First Prize: $3,500, publication, agency review
Ends on December 15, 2019 $20.00 USD
LitMag’s Virginia Woolf Award for Short Fiction
First Prize: $3,500, publication in LitMag, and agency review
Second Prize: $1,000 and agency review
Finalists: Five finalists will receive $100 each.
Agency review by Sobel Weber Associates (clients include: Viet Thanh Nguyen, Richard Russo, Laura Lee Smith)
All finalists will be considered for possible agency review.
All entries will be considered for publication.
Deadline: December 15, 2019.
Contest Fee: $20.
Submission Guidelines: Entries must be short stories between 3,000 and 8,000 words. Please use 12pt type, preferably Times New Roman, and submit your short story as either a Word doc or a PDF. Only previously unpublished short stories are eligible. Writers may submit multiple stories, each of which requires a separate submission. Submissions through Submittable only.
Notification: The contest will be judged by the editors of the magazine. The winning short stories and finalists will be announced publicly on our Web site and social media as well as by email to all contestants in March of 2019.
SHORT SHORT STORY COMPETITION
Entries must be submitted online (11:59 pm EST) or by December 16, 2019; all mailed payments should deliver within 5 days of the final deadline. Top Award Winners will be notified by mail before February 28, 2020.
…And now, a brief commercial message