Since 1993 serving Writers with free information they can use.
Writers Reminder, published by Carolyn B. Leonard, is a non-profit networking and advocacy blog with more than a thousand subscribers, devoted to literature and writing in a broad sense. For the readers and writers, we publish a blog, guest blogs, and book reviews. We also publish conversations about grammar, writing, prose styles, poetry, literary genres, and writing advice; we post current news and information about writers clubs and activities in the Oklahoma City area. We include information on conferences in the Midwest, contests, editors, agents, publishers, and the publishing industry, updated regularly. We also promote other sites and opportunities, including freelance offers, that we feel will benefit writers. https://www.WritersReminder.com
January-February 2020 Writers Reminder
Check out the main site as well: https://www.CarolynBLeonard.com
(KEEP SCROLLING DOWN)
To have your events and news considered for publication in the Oklahoman, please send details and contact information to Linda Lynn via email at LLynn@Oklahoman.com. Please ty to provide info at least two weeks in advance of events or registration deadlines. They also are interested in stories about people who have been recently recognized or honored. The Oklahoman will share your news with readers,
WRITERS DIGEST COMPETITION
Writer’s Digest has been shining a spotlight on up and coming writers in all genres through its Annual Writing Competition for more than 80 years. Enter our 89th Annual Writing Competition for your chance to win and have your work be seen by editors and agents! Almost 500 winners will be chosen. The top winning entries of this writing contest will also be on display in the 89th Annual Writer’s Digest Competition Collection.
AND ALSO: they are hiring!
Get Paid to WRITE.
We're seeking writers of any skill level. Freelance writers can earn anywhere from $20-$65/hr (based on skill level) Location: Remote/freelance (like your own home!)
FOR MORE INFO: https://www.writersdigest.com/writers-digest-competitions/annual-writing-competition?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=81969626&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9nYRppp0yn0ho81nclTPd3aqc7I0UXhfj1qsnsY5jETmzEiFwEb-1miPOTjSNmOgmbq6w2J79GRGHmFEXdKPlTnY9kXA&_hsmi=81969626
THE WRITER Magazine names OWFI Conference Best!
Ready to connect with literary agents, editors and other writers at a writers conference? Then put it on your calendar to attend the Oklahoma Writers Federation (OWFI) writers conference the first weekend in May in Oklahoma City. Named best writers conference in Oklahoma and one of best in the nation, this is one weekend you will get more bang for your buck. The annual conference contest started January 1 and ends February 1, so get those entries in now and plan to attend the conference in May. For more info:
NOTICE: Have you checked out the Writers Relief program list of current writing contests?
Writers Reminder - January 2020
by Carolyn B. Leonard
Got a minute? Here’s a preview.
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. Local Programs – OKC writers - Wordwrights - OK Christian Writers - Pen & Keyboard (Edmond) - Norman Galaxy - Woodward Writers of Purple Sage.
3. Conferences & Orgs for writers - a half-dozen or more
4. My Blog - “The Miracle of Birth”
click here: https://www.carolynbleonard.com/my-blog.html
5. EDITORS for hire! and types of editing explained
6. Publishers (17 publishers)
8. Opportunities for Freelance Writers (several)
9. Writing Classes & Grant Offers (Some NEW ones)
10. Jobs for Writers (Eight, last count)
11. Plays and Screen Writing (two NEW)
13. Carolyn’s Book Review: “Leadership in Turbulent Times” by Doris Kearns Goodwin
click here, or copy and paste in your browser: https://carolynbleonard.com/reviews
14. Letters to Editor (Looking for Critique Groups, Grassroots Lobbying & more)
15. Website Winner – Jane Friedman - click here: https://www.janefriedman.com/about/
16. Story Call Outs: Check out this big list!
17. Announcements, Indies NEWS
3,000 words. Scanning time 7 minutes (including clicks)
Click here: http://www.writersreminder.com/
* OKC Writers - 3rd Saturdays each month at 10 am. Now meeting at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 15th and Harvey, OKC. Enter through the northwest door, go to 1st floor, Room 130, (405) 232-1371. (Click here to read program details)
* OKC Christian Fiction writers meet 3rd Saturdays at 1 pm at Henderson Hills church, located at 1200 E I-35 Frontage Rd, Edmond OK. We meet in the church offices on the back side of the church campus. https://www.facebook.com/okcchristianfictionwriters/.
* Pen and Keyboard Writers meet the 2nd Saturday of the month, from 10 AM until noon at the WELL CHURCH (formerly Edmond Christian Church) 2800 E. Danforth Road (corner of Coltrane & Danforth), in the Family Life Center, room 2. The FLC is the building to the right of the Chapel (building with cross). We enter in the north door (door facing parking lot is to kitchen), and go to the second class room on the left.. They welcome anyone who is interested in writing, whether a beginner or published author. The group works together to help each other improve their writing. For more info contact Dianna Street <authorstreet (at) aol (dot) com>
* Wordwrights Christian Writers CHANGE OF MEETING PLACE! meet from 10 am to noon. the second Saturday of the month in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Epworth Villa in OKC (near Quail Springs Mall). If you have any problems locating our new meeting place, you may call Milton Smith on his cell at 405-200-9850 or Donna Le, cell phone is 405-501-2522.
* OKRWA --OK Romance Writers Association meets on the third Saturday of each month; members write romantic suspense, Christian romance, contemporary, erotic, and historical romance. Historical is mainly westerns and the Regency period. Meetings are at the OKC Art Museum in Classroom C at 1 pm. For more information contact Mary Jo Springer email, <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Tulsa NightWriters meets the third Tuesday of every month at Allee Beth Martin East Regional Library, 2601 So. Garnett in Tulsa. Meetings are 7:00 to 8:00 pm, but come early at 6:30 to meet and chat with fellow writers. No formal meeting in December at the library, with a casual Christmas party scheduled elsewhere. See website for information – www.nightwriters.org.
This program provides a monthly venue for selected regional poets to share their work. Former Oklahoma Poet Laureate and Oklahoma Book Award winner Carl Sennhenn hosts. (FMI contact Bill Boudreau - thanks for updates)
Thumbs down from Writer Beware - quite a long list and descriptions. ALWAYS - before you invest money in publishing your work, check with Writer Beware and other experts. Go here: https://accrispin.blogspot.com/
Maria, a freelance health and business writer, specializes in content marketing writing for mid-sized businesses. With two decades of experience as a wordsmith, She knows how to package your message to get the results you need.
Got something you’d like mentioned in WRITERS REMINDER next month? Do you know another writer who would be interested in receiving this newsletter? Perhaps you found us on the internet and would like to receive an emailed note when a new issue hits the ‘net?
…And now, a brief commercial message